So, as part of my GenEd work, I was asked to move a WordPress MU installation to a new server. I found several articles about moving around standard WordPress installations, but nothing for the MU (MultiUser) version. In particular, I had a hard time with changing the domain name. In this article, I'll assume that you already know the general procedure (backing up your files and database, moving, and restoring). All I plan on covering is how to change your installation's domain name.
- Make a text backup of your database. You can do this by using something like mysqldump, phpMyAdmin, or the MySQL GUI Tools.
- Using your favorite tool, like notepad, sed, or any other text editor that can handle large files, replace all instances of your old domain name with your new one.
- Save this file and then import it into your database.
- In the root of your WordPress MU install, there should be a wp-config.php file. The majority of this file is a series of DEFINE statements that define some settings.
- You should see a like like this:
- define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'olddomain.com'); Replace it with: define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'newdomain.com');
- For whatever reason, you'll get a register page if you attempt to visit your site. To fix this, log in as admin and then log out.
I hope this helps somebody. Feel free to comment if you have questions, concerns, or corrections.